Romanians prefer more and more working remotely. This trend is supported by business analysis, job interviews and social media discussions. All this demonstrates that the hybrid mode (a combination of remote and office work) has become an increasingly widespread and important practice for organizations of all sizes.
Changes in the business environment, advanced technologies and new employee requirements have led to the adoption of this flexible work model. In addition, a new law passed last month (June 2023) by the Chamber of Deputies will allow parents with children up to the age of 11 to work from home four days a month. The hybrid work regime covers a much wider spectrum, from work at home (desired by 35% of employees) to business trips and local and international collaborations.
Working remotely brings opportunities but also challenges, especially in terms of data security and information privacy. In fact, according to the Gitnux.com portal, 63% of companies have experienced a security breach due to employees working remotely.
This is, in fact, one of the reasons why using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) server has become essential to ensure a secure and efficient connection while working remotely.
What is VPN and remote access VPN?
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is a virtual private network that extends over a public network such as the Internet. It allows users to transmit and receive data in a secure manner, as if they were connected to a physical private network. In the context of remote working, VPN plays a crucial role in protecting data and communication between employees and the company’s IT systems, whether they are on an on-premises infrastructure or co-located dedicated servers.
In general, the VPN can be of two types: site-to-site and remote access. Site-to-Site VPN connects, for example, a branch office where there are several users with the headquarters of a company. Remote access VPN is an extension of the VPN concept and allows a remote employee to securely connect to the company network using the public Internet. Thus, they can access internal company files and resources as easily as if they were at the head office/office.
Using a VPN server is the simplest solution to provide a secure connection to remote employees. This connection plays an essential role in ensuring the confidentiality and integrity of data during its transfer between employees and the corporate network. The main ways a VPN server protects remote work are:
- Data encryption: The VPN uses strong encryption protocols to hide the information transmitted between the employee’s device and the company’s network. This prevents interception and unauthorized access to sensitive data.
- Authentication and control access: VPN servers allow the network to control access to internal resources by requiring two-step authentication or using digital certificates. Thus, only authorized users have access to sensitive company data.
- Protection against external threats: VPN connection protects employees from potential cyber-attacks that may occur on public networks.
- Security within corporate networks: The VPN offers the possibility to create private subnets within the corporate network, ensuring the isolation and protection of different departments and resources.
Any internet connection (WiFi, cable, 4G, 5G) allows access to a VPN server, so users have freedom of choice. However, IT departments have data regarding the traffic, accessed applications, connected devices, ports and protocols at their disposal to know what is always happening on the network.
Usage scenarios for a VPN server
VPN is a complex technology, but impetuously needed to do simple things like:
- Access to internal resources: An employee working from home needs to access the company’s internal database to analyze a set of financial data and complete a report. Through a VPN server, it can make a secure connection to the database, keeping sensitive data protected from any unauthorized access.
- Internal communication and collaboration: A company’s development team has members from several countries and must collaborate in real time. Through a VPN server, they can use an encrypted communication channel to share code and work together without the risk of data being intercepted.
- Access to internal applications and files while traveling: A manager must have access to financial documents and accounting applications while on a business trip. With the help of a VPN server, he can safely access the internal resources of the company, regardless of the geographical location and the connection used.
Why choose the M247 VPN server
M247 is a provider of data center services (colocation, dedicated servers, public cloud and private cloud https://m247.com/ro-ro/servicii/mhost-cloud/cloud/cloud-privat/) that offers customers a varied range of connectivity and security solutions. Using an M247 VPN server means private and encrypted communications without affecting the speed or performance of accessed applications or cloud services.
With M247 you can contract a VPN server in multiple hardware configurations with Intel Xeon processors, along with the necessary administration services. These include monitoring, component replacement, periodic scans, anti-DDoS protection, updates and patches, etc.
For more information, visit the M247 Server VPN page, and for commercial offers, send a request to email@example.com.